Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Saturday, March 1, 2014

Emails to Emerson

Disclaimer: I totally did not come up with this idea. I got it from Google. Do you remember this commercial?



I just watched it again. And cried again. Like lots of tears. I loved this idea from the first time I saw it. So great. When I was pregnant with Emerson I decided to start the same thing... get ready for some mushiness.

I started writing things down in a journal about my pregnancy so I could remember these times, along with my weekly(ish) posts about my growing bump. But it was getting harder and harder to remember all the little details and to find the time to sit and write things down monthly (or even weekly if I remembered). I remembered the commercial and thought, Duh!, I should start an email account for Emerson so I can send her quick notes whenever I have a minute. I could send her photos and videos in real time so she could have a timeline of her life to read through one day. I gave the email address to Zach, too, so we could both share memories of our life with her. 

It's been one of my favorite things and makes me so happy that she will have all these memories to read back on one day (assuming we still have email by then!). While I was pregnant, I sent her an email when I felt her kick for the first time. When we found out that she would be our daughter. Random videos of her moving in my belly. Since she has been born, we've sent her a ton of photos and videos - sometimes once every week or two, sometimes three in one day. Videos of her rolling over for the first time. Sweet and funny pictures of her being a goofball. Little notes about how we are in awe of the little lady she is becoming. It's so much fun and I'm glad I can quickly put my thoughts down and send them off to her whenever I get the chance. It's very informal and has worked so well for me. I also like that Zach can email her so she can get his perspective too, and it's all right there in one place. 

Once she is grown, maybe on her 18th or 21st birthday, we will give her the email address and password so she can read through her email "scrapbook." I can't wait to give it to her. Personally, I think it would be so cool to have, so I hope one day she thinks the same. 

Now I'm going to go look through my own baby book that my mom brought over a few weeks ago! Part of it is actually a "baby calendar" where there are stickers and notes throughout for different milestones. Another great idea that I might keep up for the next one! Especially since it's so hard to remember years later when they started walking, talking, etc. 

What do you guys do to keep track of all the memories and milestones? Traditional baby book? Email account? Calendar? Shutterfly photo book? Do share!


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...