Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Friday, May 20, 2011

Home Is Wherever I'm With You


Lately I've had the itch. The itch to get artsy. I really like to paint - don't get me wrong, I'm not an artist at all. I basically just like to paint basic shapes and geometric figures, nothing too fancy or abstract - just simple. But it's really fun for me. I honestly haven't done any painting since we moved down to Arizona since Buster has a tendency to chew everything all the time. But lately I've been getting the urge, mostly thanks to my lovely new friend, Pinterest.

I keep finding such awesome inspiration on Pinterest. It's such a great place to keep track of all my inspirational findings. I first got the idea for using this phrase for art when I found this from apartment therapy.


I also love the song by Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros, even though it was so last summer. But I have to admit, I'm still in love with it. I love the folks-y sound, the playful romance of it. It's perfect. Last summer I was also obsessed with it, seeing as it was kind of perfect for where we were in our lives - moving across the country to Arizona.

I happened to have some blank canvases laying around and only had to pick up some acrylic paint from Walmart in the colors I wanted (navy, vintage white, and red) for about 97 cents a bottle. I also had some wooden letters lying around from past projects that I used as stencils for the words.


First, I painted the background navy. I ended up having to mix some colors since Walmart didn't have the navy color I wanted. I just used a royal blue mixed with a little bit of black.


I forgot to take pictures in between, but next I used a ruler to measure two inches wide so the lettering would be straight and then stenciled the letters onto the canvas. Here's a photo of what it looked like, but while I was in the planning phase. (I didn't have every letter, but made do with what I had.)


Then I used my smallest paint brush and painted in the letters. It was actually kind of difficult, but very relaxing at the same time. Trying to paint in the lines is a lot harder than it looks! (Psst... see the chevron canvas in the background? That's another one coming up soon!) And the result....



Next up, I might add some state outlines? I have two more blank canvases plus the chevron canvas I started, so I'm thinking something with states and hearts since I'm obsessing over maps lately. And because I'm always slightly homesick for Seattle. Maybe something along the lines of this (except with Washington and/or Arizona?):


For now, I'll leave you with a little video in case you haven't heard one of my favorite songs that's the inspiration. :) Have a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...