Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Strawberry Shortcake


After the hub's big test on Friday, I wanted to make him one of his favorite treats - Strawberry Shortcake. His mom makes a-MAH-zing strawberry shortcake with homemade whipped cream and all, so I was hoping to live up. I think I did OK for my first time making shortcakes (husband says it was de-lish, but he is kind of biased).

I wanted to make homemade whipped cream too, but no joke, the whipping cream at Safeway was on the top shelf and all the front ones were gone. Thus, leaving me (shorty in the house!) unable to reach! I could however, reach the organic whipping cream, but I wasn't about to pay a dollar more (yes, my husband's cheapness is rubbing off on me) so I just got the Reddi-Wip instead. It was still good.

So here's my recipe (found here) for Strawberry Shortcake:

// 425 degrees // 10-12 minutes // makes 6 //

Ingredients
4 cups (1 quart) strawberries
1/4 cup sugar
2 1/3 cups bisquick mix
1/2 cup milk
3 tablespoons sugar
3 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup whipping cream


Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
Mix strawberries and 1/4 cup sugar in bowl and set aside (I put it back in the fridge until I need it).

Stir together bisquick mix (I just used Safeway brand pancake mix), milk, 3 tablespoons sugar, and butter until soft dough forms.

Drop dough on to cookie sheet in 6 round dough balls.

Bake 10-12 minutes or until golden brown.
(If you want to make your own homemade whipped cream, here is where you beat the whipping cream with an electric mixer on high until "soft peaks" form. I'm not sure what that means, but I guess I'll know it when I see it?)

Top off your shortcakes with the strawberries and whipped cream and you got yourself some strawberry shortcake!


Husband likes the whipped cream...
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...